I just finished a fun little project (well, kinda … read on.) I posted a couple of weeks back about turning our office slash guest room into a playroom for our tot. I had been searching high and low for a corner unit to fit snuggly into the petite room. Low and behold I found one on Craigslist for $50. It was actually listed for $100 but I said, “I’ll take it off your hands for $50.” The seller was in the midst of moving so she was happy to let it go. Yay. It was pretty beat up however and wasn’t of the sturdiest construction.
The backing was very flimsy which made for a pretty wobbly cabinet. The hardware was charming, but FAR too rustic for a princess😉
Time to paint. It didn’t really even need to be sanded. But there were a few spots that needed the TLC of some wood putty and sanding. After several coats of Behr antique white paint she cleaned up decently. But the greatest improvement was replacing the flimsy backing with bead board. It was about $20 bucks for one sheet at the hardware store. I also bought some new hardware too (more on that below, ugh.) P.S. A shout out to my funny nephew Woodrow for hooking us up with his dad’s finishing air power staple gun thingy.
Here’s a close up of the paint job and bead board.
Oh. Then there were the yucky bottom corners of the cabinet. Nephew Woody actually recommended adding moulding of some sort.
So I remembered that we had some left over plastic/foam, lightweight moulding from a previous project. Yes, I’m not just saying that. I actually used it a while back to frame out the plain ol’ mirror in the bathroom of our rental which is actually pretty easy to do. Just google it. I would have posted about framing out the bathroom mirror . . . but that was in my “pre-blogging” days.
Used some “good ol'” Elmer’s wood glue to get that moulding on good and tight (well, kinda . . . read on.) Set with clamps by the lovely Esposo.
Aaaaah. And the before and after. What a difference, huh? I should mention that I decided to replace the glass with fabric instead. I wasn’t quite sure how that thin glass would hold up to a rogue flying Lego or weeble wobble figure. I used the same fabric that I used for the cute little no-sew valance in the playroom.
I had to wrestle with hanging the fabric panels in the cabinet door. The one on the right was cut a little short (hello, the downfall of being an “eye-ball it” kinda girl.)
I found these really affordable knobs at Home Depot. I think they were like $2 a pair.
So I’ve kinda been alluding to some sort of DIY mishaps. So here’s the deal. Full disclosure, the cabinet hinges I bought were completely faulty. Well, not really . . . I guess I didn’t buy the right ones. Whoops. So in the before and after photo above, those cabinets are just balancing every so haphazardly in place so I could snap that photo. I snapped the photo and thought, “Hmm, I think the cabinet can squeeze into the corner a bit more snug-like.” In my attempt to get it all snug up in there I completely forgot that the cabinets weren’t screwed in and they all came crashing down. In my attempt to catch the top ones I managed to knock the top moulding loose. Anyway, it felt like a scene out of “The Money Pitt” with Tom Hanks. So really this is what the cabinet looks like at the moment:
So she will take a trip back to the garage to get her wounds mended and cabinet doors screwed in correctly to then serve her purpose as a cute cabinet for office junk storage. It actually looks nice as a corner shelving unit. Maybe that will be her next life after some putty for the screw holes, a sanding and another coat of paint.
Anywhoo. I actually really love transforming furniture like this. I do get a kick out of it. I’m no expert, but learning.
Just a couple of notes:
- Furniture blemishes are sometimes highlighted when you add a coat of paint. If you find yourself in this spot, It’s perfectly fine to putty and sand after that first coat. Just paint it again.
- If you putty, make sure you sand it smooth before you paint over it. Otherwise it will look lumpy under the paint. If that’s the case, darn. Sand again and paint again.
- Measure good. Measure REAL GOOD. (I’m not good at this)
- I like a foam roller
- I like a semi-gloss latex paint
- Be patient. Let the paint dry before you get all eager beaver to add another coat, or add hardware.
- Buy the right hardware
- Ask for help at the right time. Sometimes when you ask for help that person might be in a bad mood about it because they just sat down to enjoy an episode of River Monsters. Yeah. So ask at the right time.
- carry a mini tape measure in your purse or car
I’ll probably post some prettier pictures of the cabinet when she’s REALLY finished.
Until next Monday,
sharing my post here:
Skip to my Lou, Tip Junkie, Not Just a Housewife, Somewhat Simple, The Shabby Creek Cottage